The Institute of International Studies, Ramkhamhaeng University (IIS-RU) is currently undertaking academic collaborations particularly on the students’ exchange program with various universities. The active partner universities are: (1) the University of Applied Sciences, Wiesbaden Rüsselsheim Geisenheim (HS-RM) in Germany since 2008; (2) the Institut d’Administration des Enterprises, Université Montpellier 2 Sciences et Techniques (IAE-Montpellier) in France since 2010; (3) EDC Paris Business School in France in 2013; (4) Pukyong National University and (5) Kookmin University in South Korea in 2013; (6) Institut de Recherche et d'Action Commerciale (IDRAC) de Lyon; (7) Écoles d'Arts et de Culture (EAC-Paris); (8) Universidad de Almería, Spain; and (9) Kyonggi University, Seoul respectively. Also, we, IIS-RU are seeking more and more for international collaboration with other educational institutions in oversea.
Accordingly, the Institute of International Studies, Ramkhamhaeng University (IIS-RU) has been considered as one of the most diverse higher educational institutions in Thailand. The institute also values the coming of international students from all around the world.
For each semester, there have been about 30 students from these partner universities coming to take courses with the IIS-RU. These in-coming students have obviously added up the international environment to the classroom and the IIS-RU as a whole.
Therefore, IIS-RU has initiated the Buddy Program since 2013 as a mean to further facilitate the relationships between IIS-RU and international students. By providing such a program we will make it easier for exchange students to make a smooth transition into the Institute of International Studies, Ramkhamhaeng University (IIS-RU), and absorbing Thai culture and also share their own cultures with their buddy and hopefully form friendships and mutual benefits during their time in Thailand. Additionally, the program will help international students better acclimatize to the challenges of being in a new country, provide a social program, and a supportive network by pairing international students with local students.
Responsibilities of IIS-RU Buddy
The IIS-RU buddy is responsible for taking initiative to meet with the International Student throughout the school year. They shall provide a comfortable, non-judgment atmosphere and lead a friendly ear to the new international exchange students. They can give informal advice regarding questions about study and life in the IIS-RU.
Guideline for Activities
- Initiate the contact and introduce oneself via email or other means of communicative social networks.
- Welcome newcomer at the airport, train station etc. (If possible)
- Tell him/ her about the city and the university
- Helps you with registration, visits to the authorities, room hunting, including the Office of International Affairs, IIS-RU and banks etc.
- Make preparations (first contacts with the university, completing your registration, tuition fee payment, selecting the courses etc.)
- Show him/ her important points of contact, including libraries, canteens, the university’s sports centre etc.
- Give him/ her advice on subject-specific decisions, accompanies you to introductory events etc.
- Help him/ her integrate linguistically
- Exchange him/ her experiences with you
- Settle him/ her into student life in (parties, cooking, excursions, cinema, sports…)
- Be present as a contact person when questions arise
- In case of emergency or report any problems, please contact persons in charge to the program as follows:
The Buddy Program Ten Commandments
- Be proactive: Make the first move in contracting your buddy.
- Negotiate a commitment: Agree to have contact at least twice a month. Email is a good way to do so.
- Establish a rapport: Get to know one another.
- Be confident: Each of you has something to offer.
- Communicate: Share your knowledge and experiences openly.
- Be a good listener: Hear what the other is saying to you.
- Be responsive: Act upon what you have planned.
- Be accessible: have an open email and phone policy.
- Take responsibility: It takes two to have a good Buddy relationship.
- Remember: The goals of the program are to establish cross-cultural friendship.
The IIS-RU is thankful to your participation to the program. Without all of you, we cannot make this buddy program happen. As a token of appreciation, please be advised that the certificates of participation will be rewarded after the completion of program.